 Off-Topic / Debate / 5404
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 05:44:55 GMT

Why is AIDS such a big deal?

Oh, man, you are bringing up a topic that perhaps is more explosive than just
about any other in modern american society. I love it.

This is not going to make me any friends, but in my opinion the attention AIDS
gets is a testimony to the power of certain special interest groups who want • it
to get more attention than other threats to longevity that actually are more
serious.

Reason did a long write up or 7 on this topic and the reasons seem to be quite
complex. Some factors (none of which I claim are complete explanations)

- Research establishments live to get funding, so it's in their interests to
make things they're researching seem bad. Sort of. No one researches ways to
prevent slivers after all.
- Politicians can "support the gay community" by supporting AIDS research
funding instead of addressing issues that are tougher to tackle but actually
matter more, like ensuring that the government doesn't discriminate against
one orientation in preference of another. After all, who is going to go on
record as against research into a disease which, after all, actually IS a
particularly nasty way to go, so that's a safe option.
- AIDS drugs are about the most expensive out there on a per dose basis.

Is Clinton off his rocker to
declare it a threat to national security?

Sure. No worse than usual though, and it's a chance for him to emote publicly
which he seems to relish.

Wow, for once, Larry, I actually agree with you! On all points! I hope this
isn't a continuing trend ;-)

Whilst the ill-informed will brand it a "gay disease", the fact that AIDS is
indiscriminate across the sexual spectrum makes it a real hot potato. Hetro's
blame Gays for introducing and spreading it, Gays blame Politicians for not
funding enough research, Politicians tip-toe round the tulips and engage in
Political Correctness wars with each other, and the Lawyers have a field day.

It is unfortunate that some elements of the Gay community want to claim
exclusive rights to AIDS (and all political clout which goes with it), and
politicians don't help matters with this "support" they give. My father had
many AIDS patients whilst he was a GP (he still is, he's just retired), and
very few of them were Gay. Most had contracted it from a blood transfusion,
and one person, a social worker, got it from a drug addict who jabbed her with
a needle whilst she was trying to help him. He thought it was funny at the
time.

AIDS research needs funding, but so does cancer research, cardiac research,
kidney research, and a whole host of other maladies which affect our fragile
bodies. AIDS only gets the spotlight because it has moved from being a medical
issue to a political issue. Nothing else.

Pete Callaway