 Off-Topic / Debate / 5046
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:44:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Smallbeck wrote:

Michigan has switched from secondary to primary, you can be stopped
for just a seat belt infraction instead of the collateral damage
(Has to be a second ticket) that CO uses.

Funny this conversation is going on right now.  I just got a ticket
for my son having his shoulder strap looped around the back of the
seat.  I just looked up the regs and this law is not enforceable
unless I was pulled over for some other reason.  The first thing the
officer said was that the reason he pulled me over was because of
the seat belt.  I should be in the clear but I have to waste half a
day at court to get it taken care of.

You should also research your locality's seat belt laws.  In some
states, the seat BELT is required, but not the shoulder strap.  Maybe
in yours too?  (IMHO, a lot of shoulder straps are dangerous if you are
shorter than the average male.  Mine runs right across my neck -- not
exactly where I would want it to apply pressure in an accident.)

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX