 Off-Topic / Debate / 4865
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:59:00 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Steve's wrong, I feel. Exceptions invalidate a rule, unless they are
themselves subject to a subrule (that is, that they are predictable
exceptions) and I feel "the exception that proves the rule" is a bit of
gentle humor pointing out that exceptions do indeed invalidate rules. It
only takes one counter example to disprove something.

UU isn't predictable. Who would have predicted such a gentle, life
affirming, reasonable religion (if that's what it is :-) ) would spring
from the life destroying base of christianity?

Well, UU theologians would argue that it is predictable. Unitarianism is
derrived from rejecting the trinity and the divinity of Jesus (something
which wasn't "official" until 350 AD). UUism relies on reason to
establish it's precepts, so it should be predictable.

Of course it also had a rough start, and didn't firmly establish itself
until the 1500s (in Transylvania and other parts of eastern Europe).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com