 Off-Topic / Debate / 4862
  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

Steve's wrong, I feel. Exceptions invalidate a rule, unless they are themselves subject to a subrule (that is, that they are predictable exceptions) and I feel "the exception that proves the rule" is a bit of gentle humor pointing out that (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Well, UU theologians would argue that it is predictable. Unitarianism is derrived from rejecting the trinity and the divinity of Jesus (something which wasn't "official" until 350 AD). UUism relies on reason to establish it's precepts, so it (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Hey! I'm willing to admit to making mistakes, but in this case, I'm being misunderstood. I was just disagreeing with Todd's understanding of the implications of 'exception which proves the rule'. I've never heard that phrase used with ironic (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I could be wrong about its primary use these days... I've never heard it used in any was _but_ with ironic (or sarcastic) intent, but I'll buy into the old English grammar etymology of it! :) --Todd (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Sorry for apparently misquoting you, Steve. Are you sure you didn't actually say what I said you said? :-) I never make misteaks, you know... (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman wrote: [about 'the exception which proves the rule'] (...) Thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I've actually heard this expression used. So the 'primary use these days' doesn't really apply. (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)