 Off-Topic / Debate / 4853
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:40:04 GMT

Larry,

Man, I really shouldn't get into this: Anyway, here is the start:

< rant, babble, etc.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Ok.  Then what you're *really* saying, if I read right, is that christianity
is more flawed than America.  At which point, things get mucky very quickly,
because it starts getting necessary to differentiate between the various
motivators of 'flawed people who wreck havok'.  Potayto, potahto.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the basis for
christianity is flawed. The basis for capitalism, and the basis for
America, are not. Christianity will produce flawed people because of its
basis, but capitalism and America (idealized) may have flawed people
occur IN SPITE of the basis.
See the difference?

I am really trying not to grind my teeth, here, Larry, but you always
had a spite against Christianity, which is fine, I have my own spites on
issues as well.  I am a Christian, not because I just picked up a Bible,
and said, I believe this, but because I really believe that God has
worked in my life, I have seen the miracles He performs, and how he
changed my life. What are you saying, here, Larry? You believe
Christianity is flawed, by what you see/read/etc. I disagree. We can go
into circular arguments, whip out papers by countless
people/scientists/elitests/ theologians, etc, both for and against God
Christianity, etc., but we both know that we won't change our minds
here. I almost like hearing myself talk as much as you do. I think you
are a really great person, but I really wonder where this hostility to
Christianity comes from. Some Christians really urk me as well, I was in
a rather heated argument with the pastors wife about Christian music, of
all things. (Should they make money for singing? I think so!) I know
most Libertarian stances, from what I read and studied over the last few
months, and they don't like some of the laws, Sunday, etc, and I really
don't like them that much myself, either.  My hostility to leftism is
because I really think it is a form of evil (Another debate, folks, I
probably won't follow, though). Also, I really don't believe that the US
would be where it is without divine intervention, that might be one of
the reasons the US is, IMO, one of the best countries in the world to be
in.

This whole election cycle has proven to me how misinterpreted people
think about the "Christian Right", and what the desire of the Christian
Right is. This thread has also shown several hostilities to Christianity
in general as well. It is both unnerving and worrisome. I sometimes
wonder if the so-called diversity of America includes Christians,
because they don't believe in some things others do. I do not want a
theocracy, I want a government where the founding fathers thought of,
where individual responsibility and freedom reigned. Today's US
government is a total bastardization of that concept.

I will say this, however: I will be on the side of Larry, and others
here, trying to defend our rights of freedom and liberty. I also will be
armed, because it is a guaranteed right, until Clinton/Gore/Hillary
destroys the Constitution.

Another topic is Homosexuality, being gay (I am not PC, so I don't know
the proper terminology)I really don't care about homosexuals, you are
free to do what you want, what you do in your own bedroom is your own
business.  I know what the Bible says about it, but it is a sin like all
others, whether it is adultery, lying, etc. I don't go out and protest
it, I don't hate people that are homosexual, it really doesn't matter to
me. Parading around me, and trying to force me into believing it is
natural, is another thing. I also don't believe that the public schools
should have the Ten Commandments posted, simply because of the headache
it causes. That is the parents and the church's job to teach the
children that. However, I am also a strong advocate of school choice, so
if I decide to send my children to a Christian school, I should be able
to have that money to choose. Sending them to the leftist indoctrination
centers (a.k.a. public schools) is a horrid concept.

I don't expect people to believe in the things I do, but I know there
are literally millions of Christians since Jesus came, that somehow are
"gullible" enough to believe in Him, myself included. I don't think all
Christians are flawed, Larry, just as I believe that some Democrats are
not flawed, either. I think there are elements in everything that are to
be shunned. If you believe that, that is your decision, but sometimes I
wonder about this hostility.

Scott S.

</ rant, babble, etc. >
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net