 Off-Topic / Debate / 4843
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:26:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Frank's Unitarian Universalism, for example. He posted 7 guiding
principles on Wednesday last
http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=4700 ... they have nothing
about "brother's keeper"... I do wonder what is meant by #6 as "justice"
is often a code word used by usurpers to mean income redistribution, but
I doubt that's what meant here.

Some people do interpret "Justice" to imply income redistribution. UUs
range almost completely across the political spectrum, and if one had to
paint with a broad brush, one would pick up the Liberal brush, but I
suspect if more people examined Libertarianism the way I have, they
would realize that the principles are more of a Libertarian statement.

So if you accept UU as a religion (which raises the interesting question
of is something one because its adherents say it is? Because its
detractors say it is?) then I'd say not all religions are actively bad.

I would say that UUism is a religion, in part because it does descend
from Christianity. I guess it all comes down to what do we mean by the
word religion. The word implies a god or other higher power. I think it
comes more or less down to if it walks and talks like a duck, it's a
duck. By this measure, I think UUism would be a religion. If you walk
into a UU building on Sunday morning, you will generally find people
engaging in activities similar to what goes on at Christian churches
(even to the point of communion in at least one UU church).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com