 Off-Topic / Debate / 4831
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 02:06:31 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:
Which book (assuming you're talking Ayn Rand)?  _Atlas Shrugged_ and a couple
others were suggested to me previously, but they're freaking 1000's of pages
long, and I already have a hobby, a religion, *and* a job.  I'm swamped.  :-,
If I had to cut it down to one book for now, which one would you recommend?

I'd still go with Shrugged. Go buy it and if you're really pressed for
time, just read Galt's speech, which is only 100 pages or so (quite a
bit much for a radio speech but what the heck...). It starts around page
700 or so IIRC (I'd go look it up for you but my copy is still packed.
I'm happy to report the shelves that the paperbacks are going on to have
now been stained and are assembled).

Or maybe "Philosopy, Who Needs It?" which as I recall is a distillation
from some of her books and essays. It's always amusing to go read the
reviews of Rand books on Amazon, which I just checked to make sure I got
the title right.

People either love her or hate her. I got a charge out of the fellow
ripping her because she failed to acknowledge the existence of a Divine
Mind who created the universe, although some of her defenders are a bit
loony tunes too.

I actually am not recommending that all and sundry go off and read her
work. It can be a bit daunting. I personally don't just blindly accept
everything she said as valid. But she made me think a lot, 20-25 years
ago when I was formulating most of my world view.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!