 Off-Topic / Debate / 4825
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:34:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
Is there a label for someone who is apathetic as to the issue of whether
or not a higher being exists and rules the universe?

An Apatheist? ;-)

Try agnostic.  That's what my husband, who is a Philosopher, says.

Hmm, well, agnostic is the closest widely-known word that I can think of, but
Richard's new coined word pegs it even better, I think.

   (apathetic) + [atheist] = (ap[athe)ist]

I don't think agnostic quite pegs it for me.  I'd say I definitely was
agnostic when I was in kindergarden through the second grade.  Then I went
through an atheist period for about 25 years where I was pretty darn sure that
God didn't exist.  But I've given that up.  I still lean heavily toward the
"doesn't exist" side of things, but I can never be sure, so I can't say that
I'm actually an atheist (especially since I can't find it in myself to _deny_
the existence of God).  I've found no credible evidence in my life that God
exists, but this doesn't prove it.

The set of apatheistic people is probably a subset of the set of agnostic
people...?  Apatheistic Agnostics Anonymous, anyone?

--Todd