 Off-Topic / Debate / 4742
Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:32:06 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:
If Christian parents raise their child to hate fags, where does the
blame lie? They got this doctrine from the Bible, believed it, and
never budge despite any evidence that gays are not much different from
themselves.

Oh my.  I completely spaced out reading this the first time around.

I have a profound and irrational dislike for homosexuals in general, due to a
harsh experience I had with a gay boss and his mate during my high school
job.  I recognize this bias as a flaw in my own character, and something to
always be aware of.  The majority of gays I've met are nowhere near as trashy
as this couple (in fact most have been extremely kind and understanding), and
I'm slowly getting over it.

But I don't recall scripture or my religion telling me to hate homosexuals.
Homosexuality is identified as a sin, along with lying, etc.  But show me
someone who is perfect (1).  We're all flawed in some way, being the product
of our environment.  Some even take pride in these flaws.  That's fine, I have
no grudge against others doing so.  I have my own problems to deal with.

This religious type who has become a bigot isn't open to
reason, but they got that way because the Church told them faith was
supreme, and that science (the lust of the eyes) should be plucked out
if it tempts them away from God's will. Christianity itself has a
lurking hostility to reason; it can't help but break out and create
monsters.

Okay, but remember, you brought it up.

Show me, in scientific and reasonable terms, the advantage to homosexuality.
I don't think there is any.  How can you defend homosexuality with reason?  I
don't think you can.  Homosexuality is irrational, having more to do with
emotion and bias than anything else IMO.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

OTOH, I can think of two or three medical reasons why *some* homosexual
activities can be harmful, but they're not really an issue with responsible
parties.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Aside from the obvious "I know! I know!" answer to any Christian reading
this.

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society