 Off-Topic / Debate / 4694
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:02:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
That was probably a normal Sunday service.
No, the leaders were ALL children, with only the one adult who was the
organizer-person of the whole thing.  They basically said that this was the
day that the kids had been preparing for for a while.  Maybe that's a little
more common in the Mormon church than say a Baptist church, but I got the
feeling that it was a "super" special day.

Oh wow.  I've never seen one.  Sounds like fun.

I've noticed that many other denominations invite only people from,
say, young adult ages and up to their services.
I've yet to see any that don't allow children during the service.  A lot of
churches suggest that the children go to what usually amounts to a Jr-ized
version of church.  Most (AFAIK) don't mind if the kids stay if they want to.
Does anyone else know of non-Mormon Christian churches that disallow children
in the services?

Hmmm.  The Catholic, Jewish, and non-denominational services where I grew up
kept the kids at home.  Maybe that was just a regional thing; it *was* a
military base.

One thing I was uneasy about is that
the book is written like the King James Bible.  I prefer a more readable NIV
or NRSV (or if I really want to just get the "story" part, the TEV) version,
but I guess that's just part of it.  Or is it?  Are there other translations,
similar to those that I just listed, of the Book of Mormon(1)?

There are international translations, but the copy we use for the English
language is pretty much the original translation from the early 1800's.

One messy thing about translating into a more contemporary language is the
potential loss of valuable content.  It's understood in my church that
thousands of years and many translations have contributed to less-than-correct
portions in the Bible.

Heh -- I'm reminded of G'Kar on the show Babylon 5, when asked for a
translated version of the Narn holy text:  "Sacrilige!  The Book of G'Quon
must be read in the mother tongue, or not at all."  I guess it could be worse.
:-P

and then there are the InfoBase versions, all on one tidy CD-ROM.
Do you know if there is an online version of the Mormon books?

The one I've been using lately is:

http://deseretbook.com/scriptures/

Even though this collection is attached to a bookseller, the content is freely
available.  A searchable version (searching at deseretbook.com brings up
contemporary book titles, not scripture) sits with several Bibles and the
Koran at:

http://www.hti.umich.edu/relig/

1. I assume that the little sections in the Book of Mormon, like "Leviticus"
in the Bible, are called books.  So how do you specify THE Book vs. the book
that comes after Fourth Nephi before Ether?

That's correct, 1 Nephi is properly called "First Book of Nephi", similar for
the other books.  A convention I've seen most of my life is that the bound
collection is referred to as the "Book or Mormon", and the part between 4
Nephi and Ether is simply called "Mormon".  So the 1st verse of chapter 8 in
the Book of Mormon is "Mormon 8:1" on paper, "Mormon eight one" verbally.
(The collection is called such because its histories were compiled largely by
Mormon, with the rest filled in by his son Moroni, as per Mormon 8:1.)

Cheers,
- jsproat