 Off-Topic / Debate / 4680
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:15:18 GMT

Here's another interesting thought. Out of all the religions in the world,
Christianity is one of the very very few (it may even be the only one) which
non-Christians actively try to disprove. Why is this so? If non-Christians
think it is such a waste of time why waste so much time trying to disprove it?

Pete Callaway

Because it is the only one--the only one in its weight class, at any rate--that
can be disproved acording to internal, semi-objective standards.  And whose
followers won't whack you with a fatwa for trying. The other religions must
not be that big a challenge, I guess. After all, you've got Buddhism and
Hinduism, which aren't believed in literally by most of their own adherents,
what with the millions of elephant-headed gods and all.  And then there's
Islam, which, being based on Judeo-christian mythology, is disproven
automatically if you succeed at disproving Christianity.  And as for the other
sort-of major religions: the Mormons, the Baha'i, the Zoroaster-worshippers,
New Age fuzzy-thinkers--the Christians spend a good amount of time and effort
trying to debunk them.  Does that lend these mini-theisms the same kind of
legitimacy you imply Christianity gains from this kind of assault upon itself?

Yours in the Brick,
eI