 Off-Topic / Debate / 4642
Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 23:17:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:
Peter Calloway wrote:
Can you point me towards these alternative interpretations? I'd like to see
these interpretation of the following verses;
Leviticus 18:22
<snip>

Somewhere we have a pamphlet about all this but I gave it to Liz and so
I don't remember where it is. I'll try and find it and type some of them
in for you, but I've no intention of typing in the whole thing :-).

If you tell me a bit about it I'll try to source it from my side of the
Pacific Pond. I'm still interested in the response to the other verses I
cited, as one of them specifically mentions "homosexual offenders".

The only one I remember anything about is the Leviticus one above...
that it's part of a long list of forbidden practices which God gave to
Moses, others of which include: "do not have intercourse with a woman
during her monthly period, because she is unclean"; "you must not eat
camels, rock-badgers, or rabbits" (or pigs); "do not cross-breed
domestic animals"; "do not plant two kinds of seed in the same field"...

Most of which make perfect sense to me. James asked me (in round about terms)
why I didn't practice all the Levitical laws. These laws were given to a
society, and for all the laws to be kept, all of society must actively keep
them. Living in today's society it would be physically impossible for me to
keep them all, because society has absolutely no intention of helping me out.
Anyone out there want to walk through the middle of a carved up ox with me?
How much does an ox cost these days anyway?

I don't see many churches telling people they mustn't plant 2 kinds of
seed in the same field, but that's right in Leviticus, clear as clear.

Probably because most Churches don't have farmers in the congregation? I'm
being facetious here ;-) I'm not agriculturally inclined, so I can't answer
that one. I'll find out though if you like.

Pete Callaway