 Off-Topic / Debate / 4418
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:32:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
Whether or not other deities exist is an entirely different
argument.

Yes, but what about whether or not this 'deity', aka God, exists?

That's a great question!  But more than that, what I wanna know is whether
God (THE God):

(a) admits that other deities exist and disallows their worship, or

in the bible, (old testament) it is admitted and disallowed.

What must be clear is that at the time, many deities were worshipped by all of
the Jew's neighbors. What the 1st commandment says is basically (my
interpretation) that you shan't believe in these so called 'gods' and worship
them.
So he doesn't really admit they *exist*, but rather admits that one might be
tempted to believe in them, and says that the Jews shouldn't.

-Shiri