 Off-Topic / Debate / 4383
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:40:19 GMT

ObLego follows.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:
Todd wrote:
   1 - Thou shalt have no other God's before me.

Hmm, I never thought about this one too much before the MS vs. DOJ case, but
does this mean that there are in fact other gods besides "God" and that He
desires to cultivate and maintain a monopoly in His target market?

And also... sounds like it's OK to have other Gods "after me" - ie
Himself as chief god and then a load of minor ones? I don't remember
that being OK <g>

Kevin

It's murky enough. Too bad God is not actually out there to explain himself.
Modern religion retroactively rules on these loopholes to say what's OK. The
ambiguous hints at what the OT people believed about other deities (and the so-
called emerging awareness of a Supreme Deity after Abraham) is one of the things
modern scholars have nitpicked the OT text for. If the DOJ wants to go after
Him, I say, get in line. And don't hire Job's lawyer.

Moving on to the Second Commandment, the one about graven images, I think
Jehovah is placing restrictions on what his chosen people are allowed to build
with Lego. Those busts of famous people are right out. Minifigs are highly
questionable. I guess it would be ok to build synagogues. Fortunately, St. Paul
has sanctioned playing with any type of Lego in the book of Romans, so no
Christian or atheist need feel guilty about it (unless your sect sides with
Peter against Paul... Feh.)

In case there is any doubt I'm *trying* to be humorous here.
-Erik