 Off-Topic / Debate / 4376
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 06:50:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
Man certainly had nothing to do with the
original creation, back then he was either walking around on his knuckles, or
not even in the picture.

I think it's safe to go ahead and say "not in the picture".  If not then I ask
where exactly were they walking?  That is unless you mean the creation of
Earth and are suggesting that man came from elsewhere (not my personal belief
but I could accept that argument).

Getting picky here!

my (and the Christian) interpretation of the First Commandment.

I don't remember reading the "official" interpretation when I signed up. :)
You can say "the Baptist", "the Mormon" or the whatever interpretation, but
"the Christian" interpretation isn't really set in stone <ba dum bum>.

Why not? I agree that an "Anglican" Christian such as myself may have
differing views on issues than a "Baptist" or "Mormon" Christian, but on this
issue I think we're all pretty universally in agreement.

but then we won't be a part of God's family
(I'm being extremely simplistic here).

Perhaps it is because of your simple explanation, but you didn't

I don't follow....

it's worth mentioning that some people believe that you are part of the family
whether you want to be or not (kinda like that crazy cousin earl we all
have).  Choosing to accept it is not a universal Christian belief.

Sorry, but I disagree. Jesus did say "Whoever is not for me is against me".
The whole Garden of Eden/Fall from Grace thing set us apart from God, and the
Old Testament is riddled with stories of the plight of the Israelites (God's
"chosen people") getting back in the good books.

God didn't abandon us, we abandonned him. We are no longer in his family
unless we chose to accept what he is offering in terms of conditions and
benefits. That offer is Jesus.

Sorry, getting off track.
I'll say. ;)

That's what .off-topic is for ;-)