 Off-Topic / Debate / 4195
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 04:15:22 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Friends who travel regularly suggest the percentage is around 10-20%.

I'd dispute this... but Frank's question wasn't framed very well. So
I'll just provide some anecdotal evidence. Now, this anecdotal evidence
is applicable to domestic flights only, and to the carriers I fly most,
but I have checked well over 500 pieces of luggage (1 piece one
direction counts as one "check") in my travels.

I have NEVER lost one completely.

I have had about 10 "check"s that I would count as delayed, in that the
luggage wasn't on the flight I was and I had to go back for it (or the
airline delivered it to my hotel).

About 15% of the time the luggage comes out with dirt on it.
About 5% of the time the luggage comes out wet or at least damp.

I've never had a rip or tear.
I've lost one strap and two handles. But those were from older, cheaper
luggage. Since switching to the TUMI brand I have had no handles lost.
But then TUMI costs 600 a piece or more. You get what you pay for. TUMI
works.

Those 500 "checks"  were spread across airlines in about the following
proportions:

Delta 40% (skewed to the beginning of my travels as I was living in FL)
Northwest 35% (skewed to the end of my travels as I now live in MI)
United 8%
American 4%
TWA 3%
Others 10% (includes Continental, Southwest, AmericaWest, Reno, ATA,
AirTran, ValueJet, Midwest Express, USAir and AirCanada and some I
forget. I am forgetting at least one major, I think)

Note that most of this experience is in Coach rather than First,
although I got to the point where I was always in First on DL, just
before my travel patterns changed... and I'm now to the point on NWA
where I am almost always in First.

I don't sort out feeder/puddlejumpers from their afilliates, so for
instance, Mesaba is in with NWA and Comair is in with DL in those
percentages. Ditto for DeltaShuttle and UnitedShuttle.

So my point here is that airline luggage handling isn't THAT bad.
Certainly not at 20% checked being lost. Although that may not be what
you said or meant to say.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!