 Off-Topic / Debate / 4080
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:46:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
James Brown wrote:

Now, I personally disagree that (extrapolating from what you and Frank said,
and have said other places) christian belief necessitates "man is innately
evil" - but that is a very different can of worms, and I'm not going there
today.

I also happen to disagree that Christian belief necessitates "man is
innately evil." That's because my religion descends from a Christian
belief that believes that man is innately good (though most people in my
religion do not consider themselves Christian any more, but many do, and
it was not until the 1950s or so that the beliefs changed). My point is
that _mainstream_ Christianity is based on the belief in the innate evil
of man.

Well, I'd disagree there, as well.  Well, ok, sort of.  I would suggest that
many mainstream Christians have this belief, but that it is a
misinterpretation of what mainstream Christian churches(1) are teaching -
namely that man is inherently flawed - which is not the same thing at all.
However, it's a very difficult concept to communicate in a half-hour sermon
once a week, which is the exposure that most Christians have.

(If this starts to turn into a real debate, and not just banter, let's move it
to a new thread, please.)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1: My experiences here are limited to about three churches that I'm very
familiar with, but I do have a basic familiarity with several different
branches of Christianity.