 Off-Topic / Debate / 4053
Re: Keeping Larry Amused
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 02:56:02 GMT

FUT .market.shopping as this is a shopping-ish question

J.W.Hummer wrote:

http://www.ebates.com
   Larry,
Is this a new on-line store?

No, it's not a store. Rather, it's a way to get rebates.

Many e-commerce websites have so called "affinity programs" where they
pay a rebate/kickback (1) to the site that gave them the traffic. Most
of the time, this rebate or spiff goes to the site. For instance, I
think if you follow the link from here:

that says "you may be able to buy this only from eToys"... LUGNET itself
is the affinity site and eToys pays a rebate direct to Todd. At least I
THINK that's true, or was.

Now, eBates kind of gets in the middle of that. If you go to their site
instead of directly where you normally go, and you follow THEIR link to
the merchant, eBates is getting the merchant's affinity payment. eBates
gives all (most?) of that directly to you. Further, it's a bit MLM in
that if you for example named my eBates ID "lar" off when you sign up,
in addition to your rebate, I get 10% of the rebate YOU get. Further,
Mark Harrison, who referred ME, gets I think 10% of my 10%. That's it,
it only goes 2 levels of indirection, but as an incentive to use ME as
your referral instead of somebody else, I give 1/2 of all the referrals
I get to LUGNET. That can be a lot of money or not much at all, it
depends on whether people sign up and whether they remember to use
eBates.

Now, since eToys isn't giving money to eBates any more, going to it
through LUGNET is a better deal for LUGNET and no worse a deal for you.

& another questions. I it any good?

Well, that's a good question. eBates pays me reliably. But it's hard to
use, it slows things down a lot putting the other site inside their
frame. Also it's hard to remember to use it. In the recent WB flap, I
could have gotten close to 70 bucks back on the parts of my orders that
weren't cancelled, but I just plain forgot to go to eBates first to get
to the WB site. (I got ALL of my orders except the 4561s, that was over
1K worth of stuff)

So as far as viral marketing programs go, I'd say X and paypal work
better. Those seem to be taking off like mad. Both of those give you a
direct 10 buck cash payment for everyone you refer. I signed up for
both, and I rebate 5 of the payment back to YOU if you sign up through
me. X gives you 20 free and paypal gives you 10 free, so if you go to
both, sign up via lar@voyager.net you end up 40 richer and I end up 10
richer. Note, X is a bank and paypal uses your credit card, so if you're
underage, you may not be able to qualify for either. But then, you
probably can't shop online at all if you're underage unless you have
approval from your parents.

Hope that helps.

1 - I do NOT mean this in a pejorative way
--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!