 Off-Topic / Debate / 395
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 03:07:36 GMT

I agree with Jesse here.  Why are you so reluctant to acknowledge the
possibility of absolutes?

Possibly, I guess my answer to that is simple, In questions of morality
there is no absolute truth.  We may have grown up in a society with rules • so
strict (such as not eating people) that the seem like absolutes but I • assure
you they are not, Morals are defined purely by the society we live in, they
differ, they change and evolve.

I think all societies have certain underlying morals that can be considered
absolute given that all societies share them.  Certain things have to be
wrong or the society would fall apart.  Most important among them might be
the prohibition against killing someone in your in group.  Out group, maybe,
but not in group.  Running around killing people aimlessly has to be wrong,
or the society that thinks it right would go extinct.