 Off-Topic / Debate / 3924
Re: Law (was: Art) Debate (Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:57:53 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:55:52 GMT, Christopher Weeks
<clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote:

First, I think that there is a miscommunication here.  You are saying
that companies have little power compared to the government if they
don't break the laws.  Others are saying that by breaking the laws,
companies have the power to do stuff like steal and murder.  You're both
right, but the problem is that companies to break the law, and thus have
the power to hurt people.

But so what?

I find this an exceedingly callous statement, on the surface. Explain
further.

And in any case, the US
government has a much larger budget than any corporation, so just from a
'bottom line' point of view they have more power.  Period.  And they
have a serious record of mis-using it.

The disposable income of the US government isn't that high.

Second, and just to pick a nit, it sounds like you're saying that laws
are always right when you say "breaking the law is never a excessive
liberty."  Is that what you mean?  Who is breaking the law when I own
firearms against the laws of my state but not against the 2nd ammendment
to the US constitution?

You are. The law just happens to be unconstitutional.

Jasper