 Off-Topic / Debate / 3923
Re: Law (was: Art) Debate (Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:35:23 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

"Scott E. Sanburn" wrote:

I hope whoever is responsible for that, in that company, gets tried for
breaking the law. Breaking the law is never a excessive liberty, the
exception being the Clinton administration, of course.

Scott S.

Two things:

First, I think that there is a miscommunication here.  You are saying
that companies have little power compared to the government if they
don't break the laws.  Others are saying that by breaking the laws,
companies have the power to do stuff like steal and murder.  You're both
right, but the problem is that companies to break the law, and thus have
the power to hurt people.  But so what?  And in any case, the US
government has a much larger budget than any corporation, so just from a
'bottom line' point of view they have more power.  Period.  And they
have a serious record of mis-using it.

Ugh. Yes, if corporations break the law, they do hurt people. They
should be prosecuted. The government prosecutes corporations, right?  I
agree with you that the US government has a tremendous amount of power
because of money, etc. The government does have a horrible record of
misusing it.

Second, and just to pick a nit, it sounds like you're saying that laws
are always right when you say "breaking the law is never a excessive
liberty."

Someone said the excessive liberty line. It sounded like they were
talking about corporations see it as excessive liberty, rather than
breaking the law.

Is that what you mean?  Who is breaking the law when I own
firearms against the laws of my state but not against the 2nd ammendment
to the US constitution?

No, I think all gun control laws are unconstitutional, and I don't see a
problem with that. I think most police agencies don't really care
either, as long as you don't go out and commit crimes with it. Different
situations, as I see.

Scott S.