 Off-Topic / Debate / 3855
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:47:12 GMT

<3885F5ED.ABD@mindspring.com> <388625A1.F24912E7@eclipse.net>

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

The main idea though is to make sure that limits on liability are not
legislated. Allow the court review system to determine when reasonable
precautions were taken, and when perhaps someone was a little slipshod.

OK.  I can dance with that.  But, the courts have done some pretty silly
stuff.  (Like McDonald's coffee.) how do we as a society regulate them?
Just fire judges?  There should be some mechanism for helping the courts
be reasonable.

Of course I see the McDonald's coffee issue as one where the system
actually for the most part worked. A couple important points of note in
this issue:

- many complaints had been raised before about the temperature of the
coffee
- the suit was ultimately settled out of court
- McDonalds did reduce the temperature of their coffee

The biggest problem is that the media doesn't report on the final
disposition of these huge cases with the same fervor that they report
the initial case. There is also the fact that the media doesn't present
the same evidence that the jury sees (and part of that evidence is the
attitude which the defendants have while testifying, I can just see them
having a "who cares" attitude on the stand).

One also has to remember that sometimes these huge corporations need to
see huge judgements in order for them to actually respond (you brought
up the Ford Pinto case, the problem there was that the judgements were
so small, it was cost effective for them to ignore the real problem).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com