 Off-Topic / Debate / 3846
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:35:41 GMT

<FoJtsn.C9w@lugnet.com> <38850984.18212589@eclipse.net>

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

minor and temporary (i.e. if you wait 5 years to sue over the loss of a
single days work back then, sorry, on the other hand, if 20 years down the
line, science is finally able to identify that the chemical that company X
spilled was the cause of 100 deaths, the officers of company X (at that
time) should be held responsible, the company itself should also be held
responsible).

Ack!  I don't like that.  I'm a strong supporter of the idea of personal
liability, but that ranks as an accident, if I understand you.

We believe (don't we?) that the herb, rosemary is safe, so we dispose of
it willy nilly.  Twenty years from now it turns out that some exotic
organic compound contained in the rosemary stem is carcinogenic, does
that mean that everyone who's composted their rosemary stems is a criminal?

That's very different than trying to sneak barrels of
1,3-methylethylketone into the public compost heap.

Or did I miss something?

Mostly that this sort of thing is hard to talk about in the abstract. I
think the longer something goes, the more serious the problem has to be
before one would be able to recover damages. I also think there is a
difference between disposing of a natural, relatively unprocessed
material, and disposing of a processed chemical. If you're creating a
new chemical, I think you have a responsibility to research the possible
effects of disposal of that chemical. If you have done extensive
research, and something slips through (say your research of how the
chemical will be used suggests that it will be used in quantities of no
more than X, and you find that in those quantities, natural processes
are capable of breaking down the chemical, but then 20 years down the
road, the plant which happens to process the chemical dies off, and now
the chemical isn't being broken down), I would expect your liability to
be more limited.

The main idea though is to make sure that limits on liability are not
legislated. Allow the court review system to determine when reasonable
precautions were taken, and when perhaps someone was a little slipshod.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com