 Off-Topic / Debate / 384
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:49:05 GMT

I've always wondered about this.  I have some questions WRT this stance.

What does superior mean?  Is it based on cognitive-emotional capacity?
Frankly, using what I guess to be the answer, I consider myself superior
to most of humanity, but I don't believe I have the right to eat
them...that would be socially inappropriate.  Yet, we have the right to
eat other animals.  how does that work?

I guess the real thing is this: if not based on some measure of
'intelligence,' then the line is drawn based on philogenetic
relatedness.  If this is correct, why does 'the line' fall between
humans and non-humans?  Why not move the line toward us and place it
between people of very similar genetics and people of more distant
genetic makeup?  Why not move it away so that mammals are not
appropriate food sources, but other things are?  How would this be
different, if there were a species with which we could breed but it
produced sterile offspring?  What if some cetaceans are similarly
complex, are they appropriate foodstuff?

How does this co-depend with your Libertarianism?  How does the typical
libertarian incorporate non-humans into the scheme of 'rights?'  It
seems that like most folks, they have decided that only humans have
rights.  Is that your impression?

I have attempted to express myself without indicating my own biases, and
without offending.  I hope it worked.

Maybe there isn't a scientifically defined line, and maybe the line that
does exist is not fixed for all of humanity or perhaps it even changes over
the life of a single individual. consider dogs? Some cultures consider this
food.  Some put them right up there with children.  I have a pet dog, but
I'd not be adverse to try Dog meat one day, not MY dog probably but a dog.

Tim