 Off-Topic / Debate / 3759
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:56:57 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

That's _yet another_ reason not to have a Liberama,

Please use our term. It's our meme, not yours, and using some other word means
you are talking about some other thing, which we don't have to defend since
it's your idea rather than ours.

Libertopia as a name was chosen specifically to drive home the point that it
is not a utopia.

  Actually, whatever the intent, I think it comes across as an implication of
rather than a distinction from Utopia

For what it's worth, I have a different take on this than Larry does.

I agree that (to me, at least) Libertopia implies "our flavor of utopia"
rather than something wholly different.

And, I think the use of Liber-rama (which is how I'd spell it if I made
it up) is a valid way of contrasting that one believes it to be an
excess of some feature.  Like the local restaurant having crab-o-rama nights!

Now, all that said, if Larry doesn't want to prove the obvious
superiority of liberama due to the name - he doesn't have to.  And if
the commies (this is a joke, probably in poor taste given the tone of
late) want to end productive discussion on the matter, then using
Liberama is a good tactic.  If they want to foster good discussion,
honoring Larry's request is a good idea.

Chris