 Off-Topic / Debate / 3714
Re: Libertarian stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:27:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:
Deal with your problems if you have any, too.  I am dealing with my own as
quickly as I can, and I don't mind you pointing them out to me (1) (well,
sometimes!).  To help me with my "sad difficulty", please read what I wrote
again, without being defensive, and attempting to see what I said.  Or not.
Also, answer the very direct question I asked, which you've avoided.  The
fact that you can twist it into an ad hominem, doesn't mean it was written
as one.  By reading it again myself, I do see how you could construe it as
such, and given the tone lately, I can also see why you would quickly
believe it as such.  Again, I will be more careful.

  That's all anyone can ask, and I will likewise try to be more civil.
Larry's done a great job of pointing out that my behavior has been less than
exemplary, so I'm hardly able to cast the first stone.
  As a general suggestion (and Richard has already addressed this elsewhere),
I would advise an avoidance of such terms as "imbecile" and "deluded," which,
regardless of their intent, can come across as verbal assaults independent of
the argument at hand.  Unfortunately, the result is that the recipient often
tends to disregard anything else the initiator has to say, or--even worse--
puts intelligent debate on hold while launching a return volley.
  I'm going to take advantage of the long weekend to cool my jets on this
subject, so perhaps I can approach it again next week with more level-headed
postings.

   Take care,
     Dave!