 Off-Topic / Debate / 3712
Re: Libertarian stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes a lot of unhelpful nonsense
ultimately decaying to a simple ad hominem, yet again.

With the threading as broken as it is, this deep in a thread tree, it may be
useful to quote enough of the post that you're replying to for us to find it.

Or are you just ranting against John in general rather than at a specific post?

I'd say that you may want to look in the mirror before complaining about ad
hominems, frankly. But of course, you may not see it that way. I think one of
John's points in his reply to you (or at least, I think it's a reply to you,
threading is so broken I can't tell, I hope Todd puts that CNews fix in quick)
is that attacks are in the eye of the beholder, what was written with one
intent can be interpreted with another.

John, are you wholly unfamiliar with the conventions of interpersonal
communication?  You seem unable to mount an argument without quickly
descending to personal attacks and half-hearted attempts at wit.  I'm truly
concerned that there are deeper problems facing you, and that we're just
seeing the outlying symptoms.
If there's anything we can to do help you overcome this sad difficulty you
have with civil communication, please let us know, and we community-minded
individuals will leap to your aid.

Community minded individuals? Don't you think that's a bit rich? Who is "we" in
this context? And how exactly is it that you're going to leap to John's aid?
Give me a break.

Frankly, this comes off as rather smarmy "pretending to offer help" while at
the same time condemning the person you are commenting on. To this reader
anyway. Eye of the beholder and all that.

I have a lot of issues with John myself, but if you actually are sincere,
wouldn't your message be better suited to email? (as arguably, would mine, but
hey, you started it in public, let's see if we can finish it in public too)

And if you are wondering if THIS missive is a personal attack, it is. It's an
attack against your hypocritical "do gooder" mentality rather than against you
as a person, but an attack nevertheless. Knock it off.

++Lar