 Off-Topic / Debate / 3710
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:22:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:

You seem to be changing your tone quite a bit mid stream,
because I could have sworn you were well aligned with those who landed in
left field on that little quiz.  If I am wrong about that, I can't think of
much that would please me more to be wrong about.

Well I never claimed to be dogmatic about anything :) I took the
<http://www.self-gov.org/lp-quiz.shtml> quiz and I have edged closer to the
Libertarian and Moderate spheres, but it still labels me left-liberal.
(Personal Self Gov 80%, Economic Self Gov 40%)

* Businesses and farms should operate without govt. subsidies. (M)
I'm not convinced either way, although I am probably M-Y, depending on the
business. Well, I think I've just convinced myself into a yes.. *erk*

* People are better off with free trade than with tariffs (M)
It's a complex issue I'd need to see some figures, or working examples!

* Minimum wage laws cause unemployment. Repeal them (N)
The recent introduction of the Mininum wage in the UK has not caused
unemployment, and has helped a few people.

* End taxes. Pay for services with user fees. (M)
I find this a bit of a contradiction - how can you end all taxes and still fund
government operation and national defence? I'm thinking about the system I
described for this question (that has an optional mix of tax and fees),
otherwise it would have to be a N.

* All foreign aid should be privately funded. (M)
That answer is for this system, if it were for the system that I described then
the answer would be a Y, and that would then be calling me a Libertarian, and I
couldn't be having with that!

Although I have said before that under the system I RFC'd, Libertopia isn't
that scary as the necessary back-ups would seem to be in place. I'm not
convinced that the courts alone would be the best place to regulate
corperations. Now if there was a power able to optimise and increase the
inefficiency of the courts and make them affordable to individual people then
they might be.

I don't think that courts should be free, but I don't think you should have to
risk bancruptcy defending your rights, or be too poor to seek justice.

Richard