 Off-Topic / Debate / 3642
Re: Libertarian stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:59:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:
If individuals and corporations are incapable of charity and community
duty, then why do we have it currently?

  Many people and corporations contribute to charities simply for the tax
write-off.  Beyond that, some people contribute, I have no doubt, because of a
sense of spiritual duty or because it's proper to do--and that's laudable,
certainly.
  Maybe my stance has come across as too black-and-white; I don't doubt that
people and corporations donate to charity, but I do believe that a primary
motivation is the tax break they incur as a result.  In addition, I don't
think society can base much of its future on the hopes that people and
corporations will continue to be charitable if no attendant tax break is
forthcoming.

As far as I know, PEOPLE created our government. You don't seem to be
preaching the "god" factor.

  I'm not sure what you're saying with this...

Also, I see "deliberate, calculated, and organized neglect" of the needy
in current society. Show me a system which will not have that, and I'll
listen.

   It just seems that Libertopia establishes a caste system (as I think Matt
Miller observed elsewhere) that becomes almost impossible to breach after even
one generation.  In addition--and this might very well not be a tenet of
Libertopia but a fringe injected into this argument by one participant--I've
gotten a sense that society will step in with its "say" about how the children
of the irresponsible are to be raised.  I guess I don't understand, in a
society of minimal government, how anyone can be held accountable in such a
case, or who would determine the fitness of the people who step in on the
child's behalf.

     Dave!