 Off-Topic / Debate / 3619
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:19:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Franks writes:

If I ever figure out all of the details I'll be sure to let you know.

What a cop out.

Why wait? You'll NEVER figure out ALL the details, nor will anyone else. All
you can do is set up a system in which there is a clear, and just, way to
resolve issues, and rights are protected. That's what Libertarians are trying
to do. Claiming that you need to figure everything out is a chickening out
rather than a constructive contribution. Make a contribution, man. Get out
there and do something.

But, and this is why I'm so tired of this all right now, it's much more
entertaining to take potshots, yes potshots, without offering any answers of
your own, isn't it?

What concrete solutions, or heck, what specific changes have you proposed? What
goodness have you worked for? Ever gathered petitions to overcome the arbitrary
and stupid election laws so you could get your candidate on the ballot after
the major parties waltzed on with 1% of the signatures you needed? Ever
contributed to a cause? Ever marched, or demonstrated, or donated labor to a
charity, or helped out a specific person that needed a hand, or gave blood, or
took in a stray dog? Ever donated part of your income to something, or wrote a
letter to the editor, or called a government official to try to convince them
of something? I've done all those things.

Heck, I'm engaged in a pretty significant charity work right now, one that's
going to take me 3 more years to finish, at least, that nobody ASKED me to do.
I didn't have to and I'm not obligated to, but I'm doing it. It's gonna set me
back more than some of you people make in a year, and that's fine. It's my
money and I choose to spend it that way. Why? Not because the person I'm
helping is a rotter who whines about how she never got an even break, but
because she's worthy of my help.

Let me make this clear. Showing you the error of your ways is a free good. You
haven't earned it, and you're not entitled to it as some sort of right, and I'm
tired of supplying it if you don't value it.

You don't even live here in the US, right?... So what do I care, really, what
sort of foolishness you want to believe? Keep right on deluding yourself for
all I care. After all, you don't have my ICBM address.

But don't think, just because I may not fix your muddleheaded thinking for you
for free, that all the usurpers out there have the sanction of this particular
victim, because you/they don't. You have to use your guns (or your government's
guns) to get me to go along with your thievery. Hope you have big ones. Guns,
that is...

++Lar