 Off-Topic / Debate / 3581
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:03:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
I've been out of it for a little while (I've been home sick, and the
threading got too complex for me), but here I am back again...

Hope you stay well!

One point of note: none of the societies with large numbers of street
children are anywhere near Libertarian, at least not the third world
societies which you always see the pictures and articles about (well ok,
I'm not sure how I'd classify the various former USSR countries, but
those aren't Liberatopias either).

Brazil has a massive problem too. I think I'd laid off Libertarianism in this
one, and I was focussing on the assertion made that children wouldn't suffer
because of life-affirmation, that people wouldn't walk past a homeless street
child. In many American cities there is daily proof that this assertion is
false. (Whether or not Libertarianism depends on people being life-affirming is
a different issue!)

One thought though, I wonder how much better off some of these countries
would be if we didn't have halfway interventions? I think there is a
point where one needs to intervene in other countries buisiness (but I'm
not quite sure how to square that with Liberatarian ideals, but it does
seem that if someone else is suffering from a non-Liberatarian
government, then some kind of intervention is moral), but when one does,
one should go the whole mile. Look at where Germany and Japan are today.
Look at where the countries we've waged war against since are.

Woah! Your point is disturbingly logical, but for a multitude of reasons it is
way too extreme for me to agree with!

Libertarian Political Philosophy (LPP?) would be to respect the rights of other
countries to make mistakes, but would it allow them to violate the rights of
other countries.. found something.. <http://www.lp.org/platform/hr.html>
"The violation of rights and liberty by other governments can never justify
foreign intervention by the United States government [...] Only private
individuals and organizations have any place speaking out on this issue."

So unless you had a private, charity funded, army I guess I shouldn't worry -
phew!

Richard