 Off-Topic / Debate / 3530
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:32:04 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <3877CEEA.506A25B3@voyager.net>...
One thing to point out here is that these scholarships are ONLY going to
be needed for the people that can't afford the 1-2K USD or so per child
per year to pay tuition.

   Easily.  Hard to believe, but true.  A well run private school, whose
soul purpose (i.e. one of today's public schools) is to keep kids from
running the streets could cost this little.  This would be good for parents,
as they are responsible for their children's actions.  A more thoughtful
parent with the means would most likely want a better education for them,
and would probably be willing to spend up to, whoa is me!  $3K for a decent
(much better than current public anyway).  Also, scholarships would probably
be available to students who show signs of brightness, at a much younger
age.

I of course feel that will be a VERY small set. Way under 1% of the
population. Most people pay a fair bit m

   Of course, I agree!  Obviously, most parents could handle this if they
didn't have to pay so many taxes.

Blowing all your money on bass boats and not having any to spend on your
kids education is neglecting your fiduciary duty to your ward (a child
is a minor and you are beholden to it, you decided to bring it into the
world, until he or she is old enough to fend for him or herself) which
might get you some jail time, in Libertopia.

   Would it?  Would there be such laws?  A child doesn't have a right to a
free (public) education, but does have a right to an education?  Who decides
this law?  What if I think its wrong?  How old is old enough?  Is my kid my
property?  Can I sell it?  I am not saying you are wrong yet, Larry, but I
need to work this through.
   OK.  A kid is the man's ward.  The man spends his money stupidly.  He
gets put in jail, where he is expected to do some kind of work and pay for
his kid to be educated as well as to pay to eat and shelter himself.  He
decides not to work.  He doesn't get fed.  He dies.  Nobody to feed the kid,
or pay for its education.  I guess thats the same as if the kids dad dies in
any other way.  Who takes care of the kid, then?  Charity?  I guess that can
work.  But...
   Still, I don't think anyone has a "right" to an education.  I don't think
a kid has a right to that free good, not even from his procreators.  While I
think most parents would feel love for their offspring, especially in a more
life affirming society, I think there would be some who don't.  I think if
you are going to say its a woman's choice (and I am not sure you say that)
then its also a man's choice.  If he doesn't want to be responsible for his
offspring, then he should also have that same choice, regardless of hers.
If a woman can kill her baby, then a man can abandon it (and/or her).
Should it be illegal for a man to leave a baby in the middle of a mall with
a sign that says, "adopt me"?  Should it be illegal for the man to kill the
baby?  You'll let a woman do that, but not the man?  Please explain, I am
not having any luck working this through.
   Why should he have to pay for his "ward" if he didn't want it, but she
did?  She has a choice, but he doesn't?  Sounds kinda forceful.  If you want
to repeal laws that allow child murder (laws that allow her to choose) in
the Libertopia, then I suppose this would be a lot easier to understand.
Two people consummate and both are responsible for their actions makes
sense.  Giving one a choice but not the other doesn't.  Finally, assuming
neither person has the right to kill their child, then who decides who goes
to jail when the child is not educated as you say he has the right to be?  I
am sure I can come up with more, but I anted to keep this short, and already
went beyond that.
   I think you must be assuming there is some unwritten contract between men
and women regarding sex.  I think that needs to be written out pretty
clearly and agreed upon.  Oops.

The STATE doesn't owe you an education. Your parents do.

(reminder, NYC spends 10K a child, and the schools aren't the greatest.
My district spends about, I think, 4.5K per child per year and it is
truly a Cadillac of education. Just goes to show you that even among
publicly provided goods, some governments are better at managing money
than others. Consider how much cheaper you actually can get an education
for if you inject a little healthy competition.. most charter schools in
Michigan are doing fine on 2.5K and we haven't even begun to see what
efficiency actually is out there)

   NYC is expensive!

   Have fun!
   John