 Off-Topic / Debate / 3523
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:19:19 GMT

John DiRienzo <ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:
being evil" in the Bible).
  It becomes very difficult, when arguing about Libertarianism, to convince
people that taking away their opportunities to be evil (by making each
individual responsible and accountable) could really work to prevent all
kinds of wrong in the world.  Further, taking away those opportunities

I'm going to take a LOT of convincing on this one. I don't see _how_
Libertarianism is going to hold corporations accountable at all. In today's
society, huge companies have very little accountability to me at all, and
they'd have even less in a libertarian utopia. Yet what they do affects me,
even if I boycott them completely. (Which is increasingly difficult given
the tendency of all companies to merge.)

Part of the government's role is to keep corporations from stomping all
over people.  (It may not always do a great job of that, and it may do a lot
of other things poorly. But at least there's a framework there!)

non-Christians need to be convinced in another way, since their arguments
are different.  There arguments are usually stronger, or at least to me
less penetrable, as they, in many cases, have given these things more
thought, and have somehow come to the wrong conclusion with many more
inaccurate, yet hard to argue, premises.  I can only describe that as a
stronger web of disenchantment.  Maybe I am the one who is mixed up, but I
am resolute, nonetheless.

Oh my. I'm not sure if I should be offended, or what.