 Off-Topic / Debate / 3489
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:12:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Trying to imagine how the "Founding Fathers" (which is a very loaded term,
because it means overwhelmingly "upper-class white males")

Who just happened to make IMO, the best country the world has ever seen,
where people have unparalleled freedom, etc.

God Bless America. Freedom to be shot, be badly educated, pollute, destroy and
watch as much mind-rotting TV everyday to fill a life-time. Biggest and loudest
doesn't equate to being best. IMO some of the best countries to live in are the
smaller ones in Europe, that still foster communities, manage pollution and
have progessive policies like mandatory 16 weeks leave for new fathers.

but I consider them to be some of the most unique and awe inspiring people
the world has produced.

History has a habit of demonising or deifying people. You never remember Eric
the mundane.. I feel that several centuries of propaganda will make any Big
Brother seem awe inspiring.

Funding the NEA is not a part of American culture. Most examples of our
culture, IMO, should not be there. Take all the examples, Urine in a
jar, the shower curtain and the Chocolate bar, etc. Would they have
survived in a free market?

The free market isn't always the best tool to use to judge somethings worth.

In terms of the cultural literacy programs, I have had enough of those
as well. I have taken all the required ones, and all they are is leftist
propaganda machines. I have never seen such a collection of Marxists,
Communists, Atheists, and Liberals in my life, spouting their views, and
using the classroom to do it. My favorite was Race and Ethnic relations,
good Lord, I spent $500.00 to hear that I was personally responsible for
every illness of minorities. Hogwash.

I severely doubt that that was the message, maybe you still have something to
learn from that class?

Whenever I see NEA funding hideous things like that Madonna /
Dung / Female parts monstrosity in New York, I often think of the people
who defend it, and wonder how.

Just a stab in the dark... freedom of speech? Surely if you believe America to
be the best country the world has seen, you can't deny this fundemental tenet?
Or should art only be pretty and undemanding? If on one end of the scale you
have the government suppressing controversial art, and on the other you have
the government non-judgementally supporting art (from controversial to dull to
pretty, etc).. then that only goes to support your argument about the
'bestness' of America.

It sickens me. We should cut off funding
for art, period. If they want to make it, fine. Let them work, like I
do, at two jobs, and let them use their own money to pay for it. This
goes for most government programs, that should not be there.

This sounds like bitterness fuelled by jealousy - if artists have it so great,
than why don't we all become artists?

Richard