 Off-Topic / Debate / 3456
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:17:08 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 23:57:30 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

One thing to point out here is that these scholarships are ONLY going to
be needed for the people that can't afford the 1-2K USD or so per child
per year to pay tuition.

1-2K can't buy an education. That's not enough for books, other
educational tools, and rent/maintenance on the school building, let
alone pay for teachers as well.

Unless you're talking primary education.

Blowing all your money on bass boats and not having any to spend on your • Bass boats?
kids education is neglecting your fiduciary duty to your ward (a child
is a minor and you are beholden to it, you decided to bring it into the
world, until he or she is old enough to fend for him or herself) which
might get you some jail time, in Libertopia.

Oh yeah, that helps. The kid will really be better off then.

(reminder, NYC spends 10K a child, and the schools aren't the greatest.
My district spends about, I think, 4.5K per child per year and it is
truly a Cadillac of education. Just goes to show you that even among
publicly provided goods, some governments are better at managing money
than others. Consider how much cheaper you actually can get an education
for if you inject a little healty competition.. most charter schools in
Michigan are doing fine on 2.5K and we haven't even begun to see what
efficiency actually is out there)

Apples and Oranges.

Your schools don't need metal detectors, armed security guards 24/7,
and twice the normal teachers' salary in risk money.

Jasper