 Off-Topic / Debate / 3431
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 21:30:19 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 06:18:26 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:

For the record, I totally agree and sympathize with Todd's decision to run
things the way he currently is. There are clear and definite benefits. What
I might like is a redundant system which kicks in automatically if something
Bad (which would have to be much more clearly defined) happened.

If this were just about news, a dedicated hierarchy, run on dedicated
servers, with possibly a web-interface thrown in, I'd agree with you,
but it isn't.

Ok, why not do it for just that part, as a start?

I don't think our current usage is enough to support a dedicated
backup server, yet. I mean, we have, what, 1000 messages/day and 30k
users? Still peanuts ;)

By the time it gets up to 10-25k msgs/day, I'd be looking for a
physical backup, located in another part of the world, behind another
ISP. And DNS hosted separately from that again (primary and secondary
at two different sites, preferably), to be able to switch between the
two.

The simple backlog created from just a few hours offline would almost
justify it ;)

Jasper