 Off-Topic / Debate / 3426
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 08:41:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Richard Franks wrote in message ...
Maybe.. AFAIK Libertarian policy on education is to remove the burden of
school taxes from those not responsible for the education of children. This
would leave the education system with substantially less income, to
supplement this,there does seem to be plans for some form of social
contract:

Oh, I suspect the school system will end up getting just as much money. If
nothing else, corporations will spend the money so that they can get trained
workers (which is where the bulk of the money should come from anywise,
though a prudent parent will spend extra money to guarantee her child the
extra edge). The money corporations will give is definitely not altruism,
they are giving it because they need the workers [...]

And after I go to the Company School, I can shop at the Company Store.

Maybe it's my cynicism rearing its ugly head again, but I just don't buy into
the kieretsu paradigm.  I don't think a corporation, especially one as
accountable (to the shareholders) as would exist in a Libertarian system, would
willingly fund education when they get no *direct* benefit from it.  Why should
I sponsor n diplomas if all those bright young minds might work for my
competition?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/