 Off-Topic / Debate / 3166
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:54:09 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <389ab7c6.963900110@lugnet.com>...
On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:20:13 GMT, "John DiRienzo"
<ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote in message <38850a4f.919486838@lugnet.com>...
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:21:12 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

  I take back what I said.  I think Larry could tell you his objective
definition of good, which I agree with.  I will try myself. • Life-affirming
= good.  Perhaps God has a better definition of good than that, but I
haven't heard from him.

You need some qualifiers, or you'd better drop dead now in order to
avoid your immune system killing any bacteria, yourself from
swallowing one-celled creatures and eating and drinking, and to
provide a fertile bredding ground for maggots and funghi (which are
all life as well, and in much greater numbers than you...)

   Search this group for 22/7 - read some of my earliest posts, then follow
the thread if you wish.

  I guess he could not create other gods (weird, since he is omnipotent • and
all - maybe he just doesn't want the competition; he likes his monopoly!),

If I were immortal, and a god (see other discussion), I think I would
become bored very very quickly (ie, a few billion years, I'd a had
it).

   OK, what if you were a dinosaur?  I don't think that makes much
difference what you think you'd feel, because you just don't know.

so he created lesser beings.  He lets us know pain, so that we might know
pleasure.  He lets us sin, so that we may know his mercy.  (a little
plagiarized, sorry Bill).  Perhaps we are an ant farm and he wants to see
what we do with the tools he has given us.

The last is actually the most likely, IMO, if anything.

   They were all illustrations.  I should have stated that.  These are
things I've heard that stuck with me, whether they are correct or not, I
don't know.  There are many ways to rationalize the God's behaviour if need
be.  If you haven't noticed that, look at all the religions.

If there is a god, though, I don't think he would be omnipotent
(mostly because the very definition of omnipotent is a logical
contradiction).

   I don't find much of anything re: God logical or uncontradictory.  I am
less than the it, I am inferior to it, so I don't try to understand it.  I
am just as capable as any other man, but there is something greater, that I
am less than.  It is one of the mysteries (see dinosaur above) I doubt will
ever be solved, and I am not ~that much~ of a detective.  I don't want to
be.  I don't need to be.

But since there is no divine guidance, only the
blind-leading-the-blind kind, what exactly are we supposed to do?

  Seek divine guidance?

Which isn't forthcoming, unfortunately.
Seek inner truth?  Seek Good?  Seek Perfection?

Absolutely.

   Ahh.  But why seek perfection - you can not achieve it.  Its as futile as
seeking divine guidance.  But still some of us do.  Its a goal, a
destination, maybe that we aim for, not that there is necessarily a chance
of reaching it.

Not everyone is blind, and not everyone has to agree.  It would be a lot
easier, if He exists, if He just told us what to do (and maybe he does, • but
we're deaf).  But like life is not fair and is harsh, it is also not easy.

I'm not sure that absolute good, as defined by the supreme being,
exists, but if it does, it's quite possibly not what we or anyone else
thinks it is. Therefore whether it exists or not is meaningless.

   Perhaps it is meaningless for you, for now.  Change is constant...
   Be open to it and don't give up.

Jasper
--
   Have fun!
   John

"Censorship is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America
by a power structure that relies on a populace too lazy or ignorant
to think independently." -Vanessa McGrady