 Off-Topic / Debate / 28315
28314  |  28316
Subject:
Another factor in the right wing lunatic asylum--
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:28:47 GMT

http://thevanitypress.blogspot.com/2007/03/two-and-two-make-30000.html

It was a great read--

"Two and Two Make 30,000
Winston Smith, the hero of Orwell's 1984, asserts at one point that freedom is
the freedom to say that two and two make four. In other words, the ability to
state that there are facts which are true regardless of anyone's wishes is what
genuine freedom consists of.

But I learned something new today. See, there was this rumor, based on
absolutely nothing, that somebody was going to desecrate the Vietnam Memorial.
And based on this rumor, a bunch of right-wing astroturf groups staged a
freakout (and fundraiser, natch) to "protect" the Memorial from the nonexistent
vandals. A few hundred wingnuts showed up, and one of them claimed, again based
on nothing, that there were actually 30,000 of them there. This claim got
repeated around the right-wing blogosphere, again based on nothing.

So, we have an internet meme based on nothing passing around a claim of 30,000
based on nothing in regards to a rally based on nothing to protect against a
rumor of nonexistent vandalism based on nothing. Got all that?

But then, when Sadly No! and August Pollak provide pictures, footage, and a
timeline to show that all of these claims were, well, nothing, the former site
gets flooded with hurt right-wingers, complaining that S,N! is trying to take
away their freedom of speech by showing that they are full of crap.

In other words, to them, freedom is actually the freedom to say that two and two
make five (or 30,000), and never to be told that that is in fact wrong. Whereas,
saying that two and two actually make four, not five, and not 30,000 is terrible
oppression.

Wild, huh?
"

Again, it isn't the truth that we should protect--according to 'the right'--we
should protect our right to not be laughed at, or even taken to task when we're
wrong and stupid, 'cause y'know--the first ammendment and all...

The Alberto case is just the latest in a series of 'Hey!!  Don't look behind the
curtains--don't ask quesitons-- or you're supporting the terr'ists!!'

Is amazing to me when people who have consistently trampled on the constitution
(except for a grossly misinterpreted 2nd, but I digress) invoke the 1st when
people point out that they're wrong in what they say and that, perhaps, they
should just shut up.

Dave K