 Off-Topic / Debate / 28301
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:44:49 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I disagree. Posting publically invites public readership, but not necessarily public participation. I think only an invitation insures this.

I completely disagree with this. By posting in a public forum you are inviting other participants of that forum to your discussion.

Not necessarily. Sure, anyone who is a member is free to read and respond to any given post, but unless there is a “comments welcome”or “LMKYT”, for example, responses aren’t solicited. When I post a MOC, I do not do so in order to receive feedback. Simply sharing and participating in the community is reward in and of itself.

This reminds me of a noob a while back who posted some things and was miffed and hurt that his posts weren’t commented upon. I remember thinking, “if you want feedback, you should ask for it.” And conversely, if comments aren’t solicited, then they aren’t necessary desired.

   You can take it to email if you don’t want public responses. To post publically and not expect response is, in my opinion, the height of bad manners, it’s like shouting a conversation in a busy room but demanding everyone else ignores it.

I didn’t say “expected”; I said solicited. Of course I’m not surprised when people chime in, but I don’t expect responses to posts for which I haven’t asked.

JOHN

I may have missed it, but I don’t think you actually said ‘solicited’ in the post to which Tim was responding.

Cheers

Richie Dulin