 Off-Topic / Debate / 28296
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:25:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:

   So you were trying to make me make a point that wasn’t lost on you anyway?

You started the game; I was just playing along.

Ah. So finally you admit that debates are just a game for you.

No, Ross. What I admit is that for me, interchanges with you in particular most often are games.

   By the way, the point I was making (remember that? the one you still haven’t answered?) was a serious comment about your post, what game did you think I was playing?

The manner in which you engaged me.

   Why not just answer the point with some evidence instead of wasting everyone’s time?

“Wasting everyone’s time”??? Are you serious? The only time wasted is MINE every time I get into some insipid MPesque argument with YOU!

It wouldn’t be an argument if you’d just posted something to back up your assertion. But surprise, surprise, you haven’t yet.

What kind of evidence would suffice for you? Another story about high morale? Anecdotal. A poll? Polls are worthless. I base my assertion upon interviews I’ve heard from people who have been to Iraq and traveled around Iraq. Some have written books. Who are these people in particular? It doesn’t matter, really. The whole subject is rather subjective anyway, so your request for facts is non-applicable.

And this leads me to the point I was making; the war in Iraq is a PR war in the US. It’s all about swaying public opinion and posturing for the ‘08 elections.

   If it’s YOUR time you are worried about, DON”T RESPOND.

Ditto!

   For everyone else, it’s probably entertainment:-)

Hey, I never said I didn’t find it entertaining :)

Well, for me it is often exasperating, but I suspect that that is a part of your entertainment...

   Do you actually have anything to backup your assertion? If so, why not post it here, like Dave did?

It’s tough to cite an interview or a book. And I’m not sure anybody here really cares that much anyway.

   Better yet, who asked you in the first place?

You did. By posting an assertion publicly with nothing to back it up.

Well, in a public forum, I responded to Dave! This may come as a shock, but everytime I post in a public forum is NOT a personal invitation to you to respond.

Then why did you post this, or this, or even this?

For fun. And they weren’t really responses, now were they? More like “drive by mirth”.

   It may come as a shock, but posting in a public forum invites a response from anyone who reads it, no matter who you reply to.

I disagree. Posting publically invites public readership, but not necessarily public participation. I think only an invitation insures this.

   But now that we’ve ascertained you were just playing a game and not seriously debating, I’m happy to accept your assertion for what it is, just a silly throw-away comment that had no bearing on the debate.

Which debate?

JOHN