 Off-Topic / Debate / 28126
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:49:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   A single attack can make a rebellion if it is by a citizen of the country. I can’t remember if any of the Sept 11 bombers were US citizens but if so I would argue it indeed was a part of a rebellion.

It’s pretty sketchy.

You could define “rebellion” as a group of citizens who take action against the government. But does that action necessarily require that it’s an armed action, or a physically destructive one? What if they were hacking in to the Pentagon and destroying data? Rebellion? And obviously, it’s easy to notice when a LARGE group of thousands openly defies the government, but what about when it’s only one person?

It gets to such a fuzzy line that one COULD argue that any citizen who breaks the law is rebelling, and is therefore exempt from the right habeas corpus. You steal a stick of gum from the store? Rebel! Share music online? Rebel! Go 60 in a 55 zone? Rebel!

Personally, I’m not sure I even like the whole idea of suspending habeas corpus at all, ever. I recognize the preferability in certain circumstances, but I’m not sure it’s really ever warranted to remove the right all together. The whole idea is on the same grounds as torture. Are we justified in violating someone’s rights for self-preservation?

If we think that Bob is a terrorist conspirator, because we found X as evidence, I recognize that if we say “Well, we found X, that’s why you’re being held” may indeed sacrifice the information that Bob might give us through questioning. If he doesn’t know what we know, maybe he’ll give us a DIFFERENT piece of information that we wanted. Makes sense. But in effect, we’re violating his right to know why he’s being held, which is (I think) the same principle as violating his right not to be tortured. It’s just a question of how many rights we feel justified in depriving for our own self-benefit.

I admit I’m still sort of on the fence about it, but I think I’m slowly convincing myself that the right just shouldn’t ever be revoked.

DaveE