 Off-Topic / Debate / 28103
Re: LBS Survey for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:43:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   i did the survey but it sounds to me like it’s just another way for billon dollar companys to spam cell phone users. i for one wouldn’t even concider using such a system. i’ll stick to bricklink sales and google if i want to find a deal. ondrew

For anyone who hasn’t done the survey, the idea in question is a service for your mobile device. You sign up and say “notify me if my mobile device gets within X miles of a store which is selling set Y for Z dollars or less”. Questions pertain to whether or not you’d pay for the service, want your personal info available to the the stores, or whether you’d want to stay anonymous, etc.

Personally, I’d try it out. If (say) Target decided to discount their Arkham Asylum sets such that they were $5.00 apiece? Sure! Notify me! But if it happens too much that I *get* to the store and the item they notified me about isn’t there, I’d just stop using the service. If it’s really and truly based on stock availability, I can imagine this would be a VERY sought-after service for Christmas shopping in the US.

DaveE