 Off-Topic / Debate / 27760
Re: This boils my bald head
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 17:29:59 GMT

   To be honest, I don’t know why the Bald Eagle would ever be taken off of the Endangered Species list. I mean, sure, the number of birds may be rising, but so what? I’m not even a patriot in the “America Can Do No Wrong” sense, but even I think that our national bird should be afforded some protection, if only so we don’t wind up metaphorically honoring the dodo (instead of just voting for them).

Well, if, say, there were 800,000 of them in the continental US, and they were crowding into cities, eating seagulls and pigeons in the streets, etc, I think I’d probably allow them to be hunted. But yeah, in general, I think you’re right-- I would expect more protection to be afforded to Bald Eagles in particular, thanks to the symbolism of the country.

In this particular case, though, it’s ludicrous. Why should it be legal to kill *anything* on the “endangered” or “threatened” lists, except in extreme cases (like, say, self-defense against an endangered grizzly bear). Quite frankly, I’m astounded that such permits even exist. Maybe if they were taken off the threatened list, and were in fine health as a species-- but otherwise, I’d say no sport/religious hunting of them allowed.

DaveE