 Off-Topic / Debate / 27700
Re: Heads Up, Non-Atheists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 06:21:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   I’ve heard the argument that since an agnostic doesn’t actively believe in god, they are technically a subset of atheists. I might call it ‘soft atheism’ versus ‘hard atheism.’

But they also don’t believe there isn’t a god. Could you call it ‘soft religion’?

   This is actually something I’ve been thinking about recently. How often elected officials describe themselves as religious, saying “God bless America” etc. If an atheist or agnostic wanted to run for office, all their opponent would have to do is ask “Do you believe in god?” and that would be the election. At least here in the south. Sad, really.

Surely it only takes the exposing of one ‘ungodly’ act to discredit anyone using belief in god as an election platform. How hard could that be?