 Off-Topic / Debate / 27616
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:55:16 GMT

   -it’s a weird day when John and I actually are on the same side of an issue :)

I can feeel the loove! Quick, on to abortion:-)

JOHN

I will never put a woman in a position where she’ll have to wrestle with the decision to have an abortion. I believe the baby in the womb is a living entity--at what point doesn’t really matter to the ‘big conversation’--if I ‘knock someone up’, I’d better be in a committed relationship with that woman and we must’ve had ‘the talk’ about wanting a family so that she won’t have to agonize with what I consider to be a life altering decision.

That’s my stance on Pro-Life.

Beyond me and mine, however--it isn’t my right, nor should it ever be my right, to tell someone else what personal decisions they should make. Especially if, say, a girl is all of 15 and made ‘a mistake’ with a boy, and ends up pregnant, and can’t go home to talk about it ‘cause she has these parents that would ‘totally go ballistic’--bad things may ensue. Or a worse one--rape and/or incest--oh my goodness--that woman has enough on her mind with the direct issues regarding her pregnancy without the completely parenthetical ‘philisophical’ debate about what the rest of the world thinks about abortion.

So in the end, pro-life for me, pro-personal decision making for the rest of the world.

If it doesn’t affect you--stay out of it!

Well, it definitely affects the baby, and if that baby is considered a person, then the State has the obligation to protect the rights of that person.

   The world needs less busy-bodies.

Yes.

Here are 2 extreme examples that I believe negate any position that is completely pro-life or completely pro-choice.

1. If life begins at conception, then an abortion at any time would equal murder. Now, murder is murder, whether someone kills a 5 year old child or a 50 year old grandmother. Is anyone willing to equate those lives to a “baby” that has been growing in a womb for 2 days?

2. A woman, who is 6 months pregnant, is on her way to the abortion clinic to get a legal abortion. Before she gets there, she is mugged and assaulted by a Right Wing Ant-abortion Protestor. She ends up in the hospital, her fetus mortally wounded. The Whackjob is charged and convicted of manslaughter. How can it be that he can get convicted of doing something that she would have legally paid to do minutes later? Is this clearly not an “equal protection” issue?

As I hope everyone can agree, something is very wrong with both of these scenarios. If someone doesn’t, then that is where I’d begin the discussion. I believe that if everyone can agree that both of these cases are intolerable, then finding a solution to the issue of abortion cannot be far off.

JOHN