 Off-Topic / Debate / 27612
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:39:04 GMT

   Though I hesitate to use the words “cute” and “Ann Coulter” in the same post, I simply don’t see the distinction between her call for poisoning to be different from the hypothetical that I mentioned. Sure, she can claim that she’s joking, but if her only defense is that Supreme Court Justices--unlike the President--aren’t protected against seemingly idle verbal threats, then that’s a pretty lame defense.

I don’t remember the exact quotation, but let’s be honest here. Scalia, to Coulter, is one of the “good guys”. I’m sure that if she had to pick a Justice to poison, he wouldn’t really be her first choice.

Actually, she talked about poisoning Justice John Paul Stevens, who is far to the Left of Scalia and Coulter.

Right (see, I told you:-) I was trying to find the actual column in which she says this but it was too old for my cursory search (pun intended--ALWAYS!). But from your link, she flat-out states, “That’s just a joke, for you in the media.” You may think that the joke is off-color or not funny or whatever, but you have to admit that it was a joke and unequivocably intended as one.

   Here’s a different hypothetical: If Bill Maher had said on-air that Scalia should be poisoned, would the Conservative masses accept that he was joking?

Slightly different because Maher differs from Scalia politically, but in the end, yes.

Care to rework that, since it was Stevens instead of Scalia?

Nope. Still say “yes”, especially with the disclaimer attached.

   Would they laugh?

No self-respecting Conservative laughs at Bill Maher’s jokes...;-)

Well, I’ll give you that one. I don’t think he’s all that funny, either. But neither is Coulter, for that matter.

He can be funny, just not when he’s not skewering my sacred cows...;-) I don’t find Coulter funny, just wicked. She’s no dumb blond, and knows her stuff quite well (she is good at The Game™).

   (do you know why you got booted, by the way? I haven’t checked my personal email since last night, so maybe you’ve already answered me there...)

No. I did inquire though. My money is on lack of expletives;-)

I posted a “what happened to him” message in-thread but got no reply...

I saw that. Better distance yourself while you can or you could be next!

JOHN