 Off-Topic / Debate / 27580
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:49:19 GMT

   Fundamentalism breeds intolerance, and that’s the underlying problem--not whether the protesters are Christian or Muslim.

Does it actually breed it? I don’t believe one needs to be a fundamentalist to be intolerant. I have come across many intolerant liberals lately, though I doubt they’d ever admit it. I’m wondering: in order to be truly intolerant, does one necessary need to act out on one’s beliefs? That is a key question in my mind. Everybody believes that they have a correct world view (otherwise they’d change it, no?) and so in some sense, we are all intolerant of other views. But if I don’t actually kill you for your views, then you could say I’m tolerant of them, but still believe you to be wrong. And if I can’t tolerate your views, I act out in some manner.

So, fundies obviously believe that you are going to hell, but what actually makes them act out to picket/bomb/etc? I can’t actually accept a causality between the two, though I can understand why one would precipitate the other.

Short response: liberals act out in anger to ideas they don’t like, too. I need another reason for the violence.

   Seriously, what did happen to them? Do we agree that they actually once existed?

   Heck, yes! We gave them to him, after all!

As far as what happened to them, I understand that there are several likely theories:

1. He used them all

Ok, then why let on that you still had them, even to the point of being deposed.
   2. He destroyed them after Desert Storm

Ok, then why let on that you still had them, even to the point of being deposed?

   3. They were destroyed during Desert Storm

Ok, then why let on that you still had them, even to the point of being deposed?

   4. They degraded to the point of non-viability

Again, why let on that you still had them, even to the point of being deposed? It doesn’t make sense to me.

   But it is clear that they were not smuggled into Syria prior to the start of the current war.

What is this new book out claiming that very thing by a SH pilot? I Need to check that out.

JOHN