 Off-Topic / Debate / 27579
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 18:32:11 GMT

   how is this threatened responsed fundamentally (no pun intended) different from acrimonious boycotts by US-based religious groups whenever an element of pop culture portrays Jesus Christ in a manner contrary to the religious groups’ sensitivities?

The er, fundamental difference, is that one is peaceful and law-abiding, and the other isn’t. You can call the responses from US-based religious groups to any given issue “acrimonious” if you want, but they are rarely violent (and if they are violent, the violence is summarily rejected by the other religious groups).

I’m not sure that that’s correct. Paul Mirecki, of KSU, was attacked for speaking out against fundamentalist Christians and for (rightly) labeling Intelligent Design “Creationism.” Abortion clinics have been bombed by people “doing the Lord’s work,” and abortion providers have been murdered. Homosexuals have been beaten and murdered by self-professed Christians, and Fred Phelps harasses and issues terroristic threats to homosexuals, too. Pat Robertson (whom we’ve discussed recently, I know) has outright called for murder.

It doesn’t matter that these actions are carried out by fringe wackos, and they’re seldom condemned by organized Christianity itself (especially in Robertson’s case, since he “represent” a sizable chunk of organized Christianity.)

   Granted, in that case both the boycotters and the boycottees are usually American, but the same “thou shalt not infringe upon my interpretation” runs through the fundamentalist response, whether it be Christian or Muslim.

They are entitled to their opinions, and boycotts are perfectly legal.

Undoubtedly. But my point is that the violent response to a (perceived) blasphemous cartoon isn’t greatly different from the history of violent responses to (similarly perceived) blasphemous matters on our own shores. Fundamentalism breeds intolerance, and that’s the underlying problem--not whether the protesters are Christian or Muslim.

   Hail, King George! Say, that has a nice ring to it!!!!

Well, there is a historical precedent for insane kings with that name...

   What happened to Saddam’s tons of WMDs, again?

Seriously, what did happen to them? Do we agree that they actually once existed?

Heck, yes! We gave them to him, after all!

As far as what happened to them, I understand that there are several likely theories:

1. He used them all
2. He destroyed them after Desert Storm
3. They were destroyed during Desert Storm
4. They degraded to the point of non-viability

But it is clear that they were not smuggled into Syria prior to the start of the current war.

Dave!