 Off-Topic / Debate / 27529
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:35:27 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

   http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/timgould/temp/jesus.png

I remain unmoved to cut off your head.

JOHN

Had I run that in a newspaper would you remain unmoved to boycott that newspaper? You may, but given the past behaviour of many of your Conservative American countrymen and women I doubt they would. There is, fortunately, one major difference and that is that the USA (no matter how much many Conservative Americans may like it to change) is a secular democracy. As such it feels no need to make national gestures in solidarity with its religious elite.

I completely believe secular democracies to be an optimal form of government (whatever their fiscal preference) but I feel it’s extremely hypocritical of people like yourself to complain about other nations which aren’t secular whilst pushing for laws in your own that seek to break down that secularity (you’ve made your support for religion-based laws known here before). Always bear in mind that many of the religious zealots ruling in the Middle East were actually voted in originally, probably by Conservative Iranians/Afghanistani/...

Tim